© 2018 All rights reserved.
Choosing Your Recommender
One letter of recommendation is required with your application. Do not submit more than one letter of recommendation and adhere to these other guidelines:
- The recommendation may be academic or professional in nature.
- The recommendation should come from an individual who can objectively assess your performance and your potential for success in the program and in your future career.
- Recommendations from family members, family friends and close friends are discouraged.
Your recommender will be asked to rate you on a number of professional abilities and qualities, as well as provide an answer to these three questions:
- How long have you known the applicant and in what capacity?
- How do the candidate's performance, potential, background, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified peers? Please provide specific examples.
- How would you describe the applicant's interpersonal skills?
Instructions for Submitting Recommendation Letter
Recommendations must be submitted online
- You will be prompted to enter your recommender's information via the "Add Recommender" function in the Recommendation section of the application.
- Once you enter a recommender's information, he or she will receive an email notification and instructions for completing the recommendation.
- There are instructions in the application for sending reminders to your recommender, if needed.
- Please note that if your recommender chooses to upload a recommendation letter, the recommendation letter should be on letterhead, dated, and signed by him or her.
Exceptions to the online recommendation
- If your recommender cannot submit an online recommendation, you must email email@example.com to explain the circumstances and request approval for your recommender to submit a paper recommendation.
- If your recommender cannot complete a recommendation in English, he or she will need to complete a paper recommendation, following the instructions above, and have it translated into English. A certified English translation through a translating service must be obtained and submitted in a sealed envelope with the original recommendation, endorsed across the seal.
- If your recommender chooses to submit a paper recommendation letter, the recommendation letter should be on letterhead, dated, and signed by him or her.